issues with multiple brands and wrong listings

Posted by nettersnails on May 16 2014, 10:08 am*

There are some brand listings that repeat more than once, are spelled slightly differently or aren't right and there are some polish listings that are spelt wrong or repeat. I'm not sure if this is from people uploading spreadsheets or entering by hand but I am not trying to be rude about it and I hope this doesn't come off that way. Is there any way to add a flag this polish option like on the swatch photos? Sorry it kills my ocd lol and I think the type of people who use this want names and listings as accurate as possible.

Comments (15) | Add a comment

alli  May 16 2014, 4:02 pm

I'm aware of the issue and am building a way to fix this. I'll hopefully have it done this weekend or early next week when I get some free time.

Good idea on the ability to flag a specific polish though. Really like that! I'll incorporate that in as well.

sunnyoutside  May 19 2014, 1:20 pm

Yes I have noticed this, also with all of the Sally Hansen options, there are quite a lot! And there are some brands (I have forgotten which) that there are duplicates of because of capital letters. I was thinking it might be an option to have a drop down box when entering a new polish so that people do not misspell brands and you can just select your brand and if not have an 'add new' option or something. This might stop the duplicates. This is the only thing I have really noticed when adding lots of polishes today :) Loving the site by the way, I have added quite a few UK polishes as I am in the UK. Hope everything with the site goes well for you :)

Also I super hope that this takes off and an app is developed for it so I can have it linked with my phone to check what polishes I have when out and about so I don't buy duplicate polishes!

alli  May 21 2014, 11:02 am

I went through and tried to fix the duplicates I saw (and combined all Sally Hansens into one. I didn't think there would be so many, ha!). If you see any more duplicates, please flag them and I'll take care of it.

For the UK, is there any particular website that is better for polish shopping than Amazon? For Canada I found a cheaper polish website, but I'm not sure what exists for the UK. Let me know and I can add it!

sunnyoutside  May 21 2014, 11:16 am

Ah this is the first time I have used the site on mobile and you're right, it works really well! :) Haha, there were SO many sally hansens! To be honest Amazon is probably the cheapest over here but nailpolishdirect.co.uk probably has the biggest choice. If you can only have one I would probably stick with Amazon though! Really good site though :) I will let you know if I spot anything else!

alli  May 21 2014, 11:04 am

By the way, the site layout should be optimized for mobile phone and tablet use. The mobile site isn't the prettiest at the moment, but it's definitely useable. Try it out and let me know what you think!

nettersnails

May 21 2014, 11:07 am

I've only been using this on mobile and it is one of the only pages I actually keep on the mobile setting, it works so well!

alli  May 21 2014, 11:11 am

Yay!!! This makes me so happy to hear. :)

alli  May 21 2014, 11:00 am

Slowly but surely this is getting fixed! Added a way for users to flag a polish, which alerts me and I can combine duplicate entries once reviewed. I went through and tried to fix as many duplicates as I found, so if you see any be sure to flag it!

Otherwise, I still need to fix the Excel import issue, but finally we can clear out the duplicate entries!

nettersnails

May 21 2014, 11:07 am

Amazing job!!!!!!

alexandria  May 25 2014, 11:17 pm

Thank you for making all the Sally Hansen categories into one. I think it makes it a lot easier. Loving the site so far, great job!

alli  May 27 2014, 3:40 pm

Yeah, I definitely didn't take into account how many different lines Sally Hansen has!

Glad you're enjoying the site! Let me know if you think of anything else that you would like to see added.

slmaynard26  Jan 5 2017, 8:47 pm

I wasn't able to import all my polishes at once. Is there a limit to how many you can enter? I have 1,900. It only picked up a little over 1,400. I've tried to re-upload the brands with big chunks missing (hoping it would skip the ones already there and just grab the ones not already listed) but then got a 503 timeout error. Any thoughts or instructions on how I should accurately enter this info?

Also, I am kind of a data entry geek. If you like, I can volunteer to help with combining duplicates, etc.

alli  Jan 5 2017, 10:25 pm

Unfortunately, there are a few issues with the import tool at the moment. Your upload is actually really helpful as it has helped me identify a few extra things that need to be fixed, such as case sensitivity with brand names.

Updating large quantities of polish at one time has been one of the issues I'm dealing with. Have you tried breaking the sheet into smaller chunks and doing each one separately? Would you mind e-mailing me the file you are trying to upload so I can take a closer look? Thanks!

alli  Jan 5 2017, 10:28 pm

By the way, I see you flagged some of the issues. Thanks for this. I will take a closer look tomorrow and take care of the duplicates / adjust the brand names as requested.

slmaynard26  Jan 5 2017, 10:36 pm

I think a duplicate because the database may not be:

1. Adding data (such as an alternate stock number, example would be China Glazes)
  2. Interpreting that the data being imported is the same as the data that exists in the field (like a collection name being slightly different, case sensitivity like you mentioned, spacing, etc.)

I didn't flag all, just the first few I noticed. Since I made them, I can go through and find them tomorrow or over the weekend.

I hadn't tried to break up into smaller chunks but that is what I will do when I next want to upload. I also think, FWIW, that it performed accurately for the most part and did not import my polish when the database already had an entry for it. I think it may have captured new data (such as stock number or collection name), but when my import finished, I wrongly thought only part of my polishes had been added when it was really adding the net difference between my collection and the database.

Thank you for making this. It is so cool!