First impression suggestions!

Posted by lochnessie15 on Apr 10 2014, 2:54 pm*

First of all, again, I'm so glad you're putting this together! I'm definitely impressed with what you have so far, and I think it's got a ton of potential.

A few things I've noticed so far:

• The time zone selection in profile was oddly organized, and I had an awful time trying find an appropriate city.
  • When entering polish information, I love the color selection! However, I'd suggest making it bigger if you can - I struggled to get just the right shade of blue with the small selection area.
  • I also struggled to categorize the one polish I've entered so far. I entered Arcane Lacquer "Peace of Mind" (what I'm wearing right now!), and I'd describe it as a crelly polish with flakes and a lavender shimmer... I ended up calling it a "creme" for now, but it might be better if users could use a check box system for polish qualities (glitter, crelly, flake, creme, holo, thermal, etc.) rather than trying to drop them into a single bucket.
  • Being able to upload a photo from a url would be awesome, rather than having to download/upload. With that, though, there should also be a place to provide photo credit if the photo doesn't belong to the submitter. To cover yourself, you should probably have some sort of boilerplate "the user must have the appropriate permissions to post the photo and must provide credit, blah blah blah." We definitely don't want to be stealing/not crediting some of the hard work that bloggers have done!

Also, I can confirm that the my account validation went to spam in gmail.

I'll keep playing around and see what else I find! :)

Comments (14) | Add a comment

alli  Apr 10 2014, 3:45 pm

Great suggestions so far, thank you!

Would you have found this timezone list to be easier?

• (GMT -12:00) Eniwetok, Kwajalein
  • (GMT -11:00) Midway Island, Samoa
  • (GMT -10:00) Hawaii
  • (GMT -9:00) Alaska
  • (GMT -8:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
  • (GMT -7:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)
  • (GMT -6:00) Central Time (US & Canada), Mexico City
  • (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), Bogota, Lima
  • (GMT -4:00) Atlantic Time (Canada), Caracas, La Paz
  • (GMT -3:30) Newfoundland
  • (GMT -3:00) Brazil, Buenos Aires, Georgetown
  • (GMT -2:00) Mid-Atlantic
  • (GMT -1:00 hour) Azores, Cape Verde Islands
  • (GMT) Western Europe Time, London, Lisbon, Casablanca
  • (GMT +1:00 hour) Brussels, Copenhagen, Madrid, Paris
  • (GMT +2:00) Kaliningrad, South Africa
  • (GMT +3:00) Baghdad, Riyadh, Moscow, St. Petersburg
  • (GMT +3:30) Tehran
  • (GMT +4:00) Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Baku, Tbilisi
  • (GMT +4:30) Kabul
  • (GMT +5:00) Ekaterinburg, Islamabad, Karachi, Tashkent
  • (GMT +5:30) Bombay, Calcutta, Madras, New Delhi
  • (GMT +5:45) Kathmandu
  • (GMT +6:00) Almaty, Dhaka, Colombo
  • (GMT +7:00) Bangkok, Hanoi, Jakarta
  • (GMT +8:00) Beijing, Perth, Singapore, Hong Kong
  • (GMT +9:00) Tokyo, Seoul, Osaka, Sapporo, Yakutsk
  • (GMT +9:30) Adelaide, Darwin
  • (GMT +10:00) Eastern Australia, Guam, Vladivostok
  • (GMT +11:00) Magadan, Solomon Islands, New Caledonia
  • (GMT +12:00) Auckland, Wellington, Fiji, Kamchatka

lochnessie15

Apr 10 2014, 3:48 pm

Yes, most definitely!

alli  Apr 10 2014, 5:28 pm

The timezone picker has been updated. Everyone, please check your profile settings. You may need to re-choose your timezone depending what you had picked before.

alli  Apr 17 2014, 1:44 pm

Multi-type selection has been added. Woohoo!

Are there any type-categories you think need to be added/renamed/changed while I'm working on this area?

alli  Apr 17 2014, 1:45 pm

Also forgot to mention that URL uploading has been added. Next up is add the credit area for photos.

lochnessie15

Apr 18 2014, 4:26 pm

Awesome!

The only other ones I can think of right now are maybe "crelly" and "UV change"? It might also be nice to break down holo into "scattered" and "linear" - that's how I label them on my spreadsheet, at least. :)

alli  Apr 18 2014, 4:44 pm

Wow, I didn't even realize UV changing polish existed. I thought thermals were pretty amazing and I needed to get my hands on some... any good suggestions for UV changers you like haha?

lochnessie15

Apr 18 2014, 5:18 pm

Haha, the two brands I know of are Ruby Wing (made by Color Club) and Del Sol. I have a few Del Sols; I'm definitely impressed by the color-changing ability (they're quick!), but I haven't given them a good wear test. Del Sol often has some sales/coupon codes if you check out sites like retailmenot, too. :)

alli  Apr 21 2014, 12:56 pm

I think I've figured out how to get past the gmail spam filter! It's working for my test account, but if you would help me test I would appreciate. :) I'll just send you a test message through your profile.

lochnessie15

Apr 21 2014, 1:01 pm

Sure thing! I'll keep an eye out for a message :)

lochnessie15

Apr 21 2014, 1:37 pm

I just sent you a reply to the e-mail, but it came through and appeared in my inbox! :)

alli  Apr 21 2014, 2:43 pm

Wooo!

alli  Apr 21 2014, 2:48 pm

Well, if you direct-replied to it, that won't work because right now it's send-only. Need to add a disclaimer for now. X)

lochnessie15

Apr 21 2014, 3:39 pm

I figured that was probably the case, but I'm all about trying to break your site for you ;-)